Friday, August 1, 2008

my other new favorite thing

The inimitable RKatz offhandedly asked if I listened to the American Theatre Wing's "Downstage Center" podcasts. I do now, and you should, too. I'm very proud of what I do as a fringe theater actor in the Northwest, but the opportunity to listen to real, live career artists ("What are those, Mommy?") discuss the craft is not to be missed. 

Of particular note: James Earl Jones on the value of education, the "delusion" of race, not being an activist, and how annoying it is that film actors play entire roles off-voice for effect. (Of a talented actor playing an American president on TV, "He whispers. Too. Fucking. Much.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of a talented actor playing an American president on TV, "He whispers. Too. Fucking. Much.

Fuck it, I love David Morse. I'd call long distance to listen to that dude piss into a tin cup. Or whisper while wearing a prosthetic nose.