Wednesday, July 2, 2008

for spacious skies

Basil just introduced me to my new favorite thing.


I got the Hem album "Funnel Cloud" last night and listened to it on repeat for four hours. (I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed it as much as I did.) It's sort of bluesy alt-country via Tin Pan Alley -- Rodgers & Hart clearly gave Great American Houses of New York and Almost Home a little smooch -- and it's the sweetest little slice of Americana I've ever heard. In celebration of this great nation, I plan on acquiring and devouring the rest of the discography as soon as possible.
(Thanks, Bas!)

4 comments:

Basil said...

And I, in turn, thank Ida for the Hem introduction.
They're pretty great for helping certain little daughters get to sleep.
That question about whether or not you like to sing country was not for nothing, btw...

Anonymous said...

I heart that band so much. They've been on constant rotation at our house for the past five years due to hearing them live on KEXP with the clincher of ol' Sarah Ru singing one of their songs in that first solo show of hers (can't remember the name because my brain does not have enough calories for functioning super good, but I do know which song: "When I Was Drinking.")

Some of their songs make me cry every single time I hear them; others are make me want to run through sprinklers.

Maybe we should have Hem night on our roof for the 4th of July!

Christopher said...

Would that have been "Go There"?

Anonymous said...

It was "Go There." But all I could think of was "You Could Be Home Now." Y'know, not a show of hers but so similar.

It's like when I could only think "Hey, Have You Seen My Brother?" before "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?" came out...